Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mommy Mythbusters

Myth #1: Breastfeeding won't hurt if you are doing it "correctly"

Anyone who tells you breastfeeding doesn't hurt is selling something- breastfeeding is wonderful and I wouldn't trade the experience for all the tea in China- but the Lactation Consultant lied. It hurts first because your nipples aren't used to it, then because it's happening so frequently, then because you're healing, then it hurts only when your baby latches on, then it doesn't hurt while you're doing it- but you're still really sore anyway- THEN you start pumping and that's a whole other pain ballgame. Don't get me wrong- it's not bad and yes, if you're doing it "wrong" there will be more pain than otherwise- but this painfree thing they try to feed you is nonsense. It has been 5 weeks now and they still hurt enough that I have to be careful with my towel after showering.


Myth #2: Your baby's face won't freak you out at some point


Okay, so admittedly this is not a popular myth- but I know no one warned me.


My son has baggy eyes- it's really very cute but every now and then- they look a little creepy in the half light at night when I'm nursing him. It reminds me of the Thriller video:





I have not truly captured the horror on film- as it has only happened in the middle of the night when I don't have enough light to take a picture.





1 comment: