Tuesday, July 28, 2009

5 months old


Max is now 5 months old and bigger than ever. He was tired when I took this photo which is why he's so angry- he was only on the floor for a couple of minutes so I could get his birthday shot. He's really what I consider to be an easy baby. He prefers to go to sleep right at 7 pm, MAYBE 7:20 or so. But he does so promptly even at other houses without his bed, bath or jammies- normally only "tired crying" for maybe 5 minutes or less after being put down. Jack has started reading to him right before he goes to sleep as well- he starts while I'm nursing then I'll put an awake baby in the crib and Jack will continue reading until he gets to a good stopping place in the story and then Jack and I are regular grown-ups again. I love the time after he goes to sleep but I also miss him. Sometimes I just want to go and snuggle him again- of course I never would- but these are the desires of a new mommy I guess.

Naptimes also go well- he has a general cyclical nature of :
1. wake-up
2. play (might need to comfort nurse depending on how upset he is when he wakes up)
3.feed a little while after waking
4.play a bit more
5. nurse for comfort
6. nap for 30 minutes or so

Even when he turns over onto his tummy and gets frustrated because he can't get back over I just go in and flip him over and leave and he goes to sleep shortly after.
Of course, this is all broken up and further complicated by wardrobe changes, accidents, getting bored stuff like that- but essentially those 6 things are what happens over and over until it's time for bed. Unless we go somewhere- then things get a little off- but not too far.

Now that he is 5 months old he is getting really good at sitting and he wants to do this more and more often instead of laying safely on the floor where I don't have to watch him every second. On our bed or with a bobby on some paddy blankets on the floor are both pretty safe but with sitting comes falling. He bonked his face yesterday and got pretty upset- but he also soothes pretty quickly too- another Max bonus.


AND- he is getting really good at sitting in my opinion. I love to watch him be able to do it with no hands and adjust his balance when needed- makes me really proud. There's a video on Flickr- I tried to put it up here but it took too long.

Of course, having two babies around is extra fun- we get them together often- Dicey is learning to have gentle hands and doing really well with the cats and also Max's head- which she seems fascinated with. They are so much fun, but each of them can be difficult to hang onto. Dicey is because she is in near constant motion and tends to buck and flail about with energy glee, Max is because he's so heavy- 19 pounds is alot to lug around for longer than a couple of minutes, especially when that's mixed in with picking up and putting down that same 19 pounds. Just look at those legs!


Side note- it's pretty difficult to change someone's diaper when that someone has their foot in their mouth. (But it's still easier than changing Energy-Girl)

A couple of weeks ago Max started making this face- he sucks on his bottom lip and hums and splutters- it's ridiculous. He also has started to stick his tongue out pretty often- it's pretty pointy- I think he got that from his Daddy. Anywho- life with a five month old is pretty great- even when he grabs my neck so hard anyone else would bruise and even when I'm changing him and he pees all over his clothes and then I put him in a new outfit and he immediately spits up on that one. It all seems so inconsequential when he snuggles against me for comfort or I feel his soft little hands gentle on my arm or face, and especially when I catch his eye and his whole face lights up with a delighted smile.

4 comments:

  1. I miss Dicey at night too. Love all your pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! I'm glad I'm not the only one :) I try to put up different pics on my blog than on Flickr so it will be fresh for those of you who do both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember when my brother started sitting up/crawling/walking...that kid had so many bumps and bruises it was crazy. i think sometimes boys have a tendency to be a bit more daring than girls and tend to end up with a few more battle scars. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm anticipating that definitely and just got a tip on some obscure ointment for eliminating bruises and goose eggs and things from Tracy. If a mom of 4, two of them boys doesn't have good tips I don't know who would.

    ReplyDelete