Monday, August 3, 2009

Balloons at dawn


Max pretty regularly wakes up around 5:20 these days. Generally this is the time when I take him to bed with me for his morning meal and sneak in a little nap time for me. But since I found out that there was going to be a balloon launch at dawn on a Saturday I figured it was an opportunity not to be missed. It's an annual event and you can find out more at centraltexasballooning.com. I found out about it from a free calendar of Austin events that my sister got in her Greenling delivery and let me have.
Anywho- we woke up at 5 and got ready before Max was awake- he woke up a little earlier than normal since we were bustling around the house a bit. Then he had a little "snack" and we loaded him up and were on our way! It was very exciting and we got there early enough for a great parking spot and chatted with some other parents of a little one.
As it got brighter outside things happened pretty quickly. The different balloon teams strung their swathes of nylon through the field and the flames started going. I kept thinking someone was going to tell us we would have to go back across the road and get out of the way but everyone seemed cool with people just milling around, watching and taking pictures, it was really neat to be right in the middle of it all.

Max jumped once from the pop of flames but other than that was pretty chill and watched everything. I was glad that we could be so close because it made it easier for him to experience it.
Watching the balloons ripple and blow up was really cool- they seemed so delicate and fragile to be carrying all that weight. This is an annual event and I think it will become one for our little family as well- because free awesomeness along with a learning experience can't be beat.


I'm in love with this photo of Max- it's my new favorite. His little ever-so-slightly-raised eyebrow slays me and really makes the picture in my opinion. I also think that this face makes him look more like Jack than usual. Anywho- a good time was had by all (my parents hauled their cookies out of bed to meet us at the dam) and it definitely warrants a repeat performance. I think getting the kids up at dawn occasionally to see/do something cool is really important.

3 comments:

  1. that's great! and that is a great pic of max in front of the balloon, bien sur!

    i was thinking about you and greenling the other day...have you looked into joining a CSA in your area? (community supported agriculture) my mom belongs to one and she gets a giant tote bag full of organic produce and stuff every week on friday. i think you just pay monthly and you are guaranteed fresh, in season organic goodies. just a thought...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into that- I know Round Rock is pretty limited and I feel like Kalena would have mentioned it to me if there was one- but I'll check- thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete