Monday, February 8, 2010

Sick bears

We all got sick.
I had the easiest time of it and Jack I guess had the worst, but Max's is lasting the longest, or at least some of the effects are.

Today is Monday- his first BM that I would call diarrhea happened on Tuesday. His stools aren't liquid-y anymore but they are still extra stinky.
Both Saturday and Sunday mornings, going in to fetch Max from his crib in the early morning Jack and I have been hit by this wall of poo-smell upon entering the nursery. Leakage hasn't been too bad, we've only had to change his sheets once but Max has gone through SO many pairs of pants and jammies this week.

So, presented with a very unhappy, mama-wanting baby covered in poo both mornings I have just stripped us both down and held him in the shower with me for a little while before nursing him skin to skin in my bed. It's actually been really sweet and nice bonding time- he gets very clingy and just wants to hold onto me and lay there in my arms with the water running over him.

I avoided having a repeat of this this morning because I took an extra trip in to his nursery last night to check on him and could smell that he'd dirtied his diaper with still HOURS left of sleep. So, we had to wake him and clean him up- he was not a happy camper. I ended up nursing him back to calm before putting him down, which I don't normally do, but I felt bad because we'd woken him up twice that night (once to bring him home- we hung out with friends late).

In the midst of all this he has really bad diaper rash from the extra acidity that was/is going on and apparently you're not supposed to use wipes, which we didn't remember until it was too late- don't know if I made his rash worse or not. Anywho- there are all kinds of home remedies for diaper rash and I've been trying a few things and also trying to let him have some good naked time too. So far it's still pretty bad. He actually bled just a tiny bit in one spot last night :(

I tried breastmilk on his rash, because that's supposed to be good- so far I've not noticed any change- I only did it twice though. Right now I'm trying egg whites- if I don't get results by his next diaper change I think I need to go and purchase some bigger guns. Part of me feels like putting thick ointment on raw skin isn't a good idea- like it won't be able to "breathe" and heal, but at this point I just want his little butt to feel better.

Also, trying to gear up for his two birthday parties that are coming up. I tried to buy stamps this weekend and was thwarted. Did you know that the powers that be have eradicated all the stamp machines from P.O. lobbies? This sucks. It was Saturday afternoon and I couldn't buy small increment stamps ANYWHERE.

I need a cheap little vacuum, and I wish we had an end table. Blah.

6 comments:

  1. i know i texted you, but i'll say it again here for anyone that might have queries about diaper rash...dr. smith's is DECK. i understand about not wanting to put cream on something that seems like it should just dry out, but what you want to do is create a BARRIER between baby's delicate skin and diaper/poo/pee/etc. trust me. jj had the worst diaper rash you've ever seen when we finally rescued him from his evil 'mother' and dr. smith's was the ONLY thing that worked. really schmear it on. REALLY.

    also, a cup of sea salt in the bath water will help clean and heal. just don't let him drink it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips- I told Jack to pick it up on his grocery store run after work. I knew you'd be a good one to ask. I had heard baking soda in the bath water but not sea salt- hmmm... Will have to see if Jack wants to be vigilant about Max not drinking the bathwater tonight....

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! oh i'm glad to know that jj is not the only one that drinks bathwater! he loves to scoop a big plastic cup-full, tump it over his entire face (open-mouthed, of course) and gulp away.

    i don't think the sea salt additive would hurt him, but might not help the diarrhea situation. baking soda would be helpful, too, methinks...but i've just always been a firm believer that the ocean heals all wounds. unless, of course, you get bit by a shark or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The cure for everything is salt water; sweat, tears or the sea..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the new background! Very you. Glad to know that Max is on the mend too. Baby/mama shower times is good times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you like it, it was hard to choose- there were so many pretty options. I think baby/mama shower times will be one of my most cherished memories, love them.

    ReplyDelete