Wednesday, November 4, 2009

House, Halloween, Huge little boy

Okay- so we're deliriously happy in our new place and there are so many projects on our list you wouldn't believe. I plan on making a list of all the handyman tasks that Jack accomplishes, but it's going to be a long list- so another post for that one.
This is our new light fixture in our bedroom- we got it at Lowe's and I love it- though I do want to get some etching cream or something and make the glass frosted- I find it distracting that you can see the lightbulbs so clearly.

Halloween went nicely- the babies had a great time- I look forward to next year when I will take Max trick or treating- it just didn't make sense this year- he would be tired and I didn't want any candy. We did find out that Max apparently really enjoys playing/posing with pumpkins. He kept playing with these- it took us forever to carve them- next year we will make a better effort.

We take him to Home Depot all the time- he's getting pretty great about riding around in the basket. Sadly he's really too heavy for me to carry in the moby wrap for very long anymore. I know people carry bigger kids in them- but last time I did it my back was really tired. It makes me sad though- we both really enjoyed it while it lasted. When Jack is loading up the car with whatever purchases we've made I usually nurse and/or play with Max in the car while we're waiting- here he is after Jack joined us- he likes to mess with all the stuff in the front seat.



So, back to Halloween- I felt a teensy bit lame for Max wearing a store bought costume on Halloween- but it just worked out so perfectly and it was easy- plus it wasn't some cheap plasticky crap with a logo on it or anything, just a perfectly respectable and sweet little bear suit (courtesy of Faerie Godmother Kake's industrious thrifting! Thankee!).

Anywho- he was adorable and comfy. However, the idea was to go as the THREE bears- so I did have to work up two adult bear costumes. It ended up being pretty easy- couple of shirts from Goodwill, a pair of overalls, some altered cat and dog noses from the Halloween store- etc. The most complicated part was the ears! You would think that you could purchase bear ears from a costume store- not so my friend! Devil, kitty, antennae- all manner of things EXCEPT bear ears.

So, I bought some discount cat ears from Jo-Ann and some brown fur and figured; I have a glue gun- this will be easy.

In theory it was.


Pair #1: totally covered in fur- try them on to discover that they are far too close and high on my head to look like bear ears- I look like a mouse or something.
*dismantle*


Pair #2: Decided that if I just had the fur covering really low and just barely covering one side of cat ear then extending past said ear on other side that that would work. Nope- still catty-mousey looking.
*dismantle*


Pair #3: Took covered ear-headband and hacked off the cat ears, gluing them back on lower and recovering where they used to be. The position of these is great- they're a little homely, but at that point I had stopped caring.


Pair #4: Went to make Jack's pair (hacking off cat ears is the first step) and decided to remove all the cat ear fur covering from the headband as well. I ended up really pleased with this result, so much so that.....


Pair #5: I decided to dismantle my pair *again* and redo it just like Jack's.

Lucky for me the minimum yardage I could purchase of the brown fur was more than enough to do all of this.

Somewhere around pair #3 I think, I discovered (with some cursing) that my glue gun is INCREDIBLY hot. I burned my hands in about 4 or 5 places- the worst of which blistered really badly:

I hope you can tell how ginormous this blister is- I know you're supposed to leave them alone because they're sterile inside there- but it's a little annoying. It kind of itches now- but I think that means it's healing.


Onto Huge Little Boys: My son has always been in the big percentiles. He is now 8 months old and wearing 12-18 month clothing and size 4 shoes. The last time I got any numbers on him he was over 21 lbs and standing at 28.5 inches. Imagine my dismay when I read on our carseat that it's limits are 22 lbs and 29 inches! So, we went to Babies R Us and got a new one. It goes up to 100 lbs!!!! Yippee!
On a side note- I love my Honda Element- but it is not the easiest car to use a carseat in. The suicide doors make it difficult to access the backseat without actually being back there. It's working out though- and this carseat is much easier to latch than our old one.

So, that's it for now- I'm trying to get into the groove of blogging again- it's not easy with my picture loading difficulties though. It took me probably 30 tries to get that blister picture to load acceptably. *sigh*

7 comments:

  1. 30 tries?! You've got to make a change with whatever is malfunctioning, sis. That's madness.
    I like this post, tho naming your different attempts as different pairs of ears is a bit confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm starting to wonder if it is my camera since it's pretty old (and I want a new one) but since the crappy uploads are inconsistent and will eventually come out right that can't be it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know if i mentioned this before but maybe it's the USB cable from your camera to computer. sorry if that's a repeat and you've already told me why that's not it. my brain is so full right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no worries- I can't remember if you suggested that either. Jack's wondering if our new memory card might help- I don't know. I still want a new camera- I'm jealous of Selah's settings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s.
    you can by 'frosting' spray paint...much easier than etching cream. we used it on a bathroom door in savannah and it worked really nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh- Awesome! Good to know- thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete